Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) is a federally-funded program from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). HIICAP is administered by the New York State Office for the Aging.
- understand the Medicare prescription drug benefit (Medicare Part D) and how to select the best plan
- understand “Extra Help”, a low income subsidy offered by the Social Security Administration
- find ways to pay for your prescription drugs or medical equipment
- understand and apply for EPIC (Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage)
- choose between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, including Medicare HMOs, Medicare PPOs, Medicare Special Needs Plans and Medicare Private Fee-for-Service Plans
- understand Medicare rules and your medical bills
- report possible Medicare fraud or abuse
- appeal a decision by Medicare, your managed care provider or other health insurance company
- discover ways to fill Medicare’s gaps
- file an insurance claim and deal with paperwork
- learn about prevention and screening coverage that keeps you healthy or helps detect issues early
HIICAP Volunteer Counselors
Work with our HIICAP Coordinator to provide education on Medicare, Medicare Part D Prescription Coverage, Medicare Savings Plans, and more.