Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) is a federally-funded program from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). HIICAP is administered by the New York State Office for the Aging.
HIICAP can help you:
- understand the Medicare prescription drug benefit (Medicare Part D) and how to select the best plan
- understand “Extra Help,” a low-income subsidy offered by the Social Security Administration
- find ways to pay for your prescription drugs or medical equipment
- understand and apply for EPIC (Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage)
- choose between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, including Medicare HMOs, Medicare PPOs, Medicare Special Needs Plans, and Medicare Private Fee-for-Service Plans
- understand Medicare rules and your medical bills
- report possible Medicare fraud or abuse
- appeal a decision by Medicare, your managed care provider, or other health insurance company
- discover ways to fill Medicare’s gaps
- file an insurance claim and deal with paperwork
- learn about prevention and screening coverage that keeps you healthy or helps detect issues early
HIICAP Volunteer Counselors
Work with our HIICAP Coordinator to provide education on Medicare, Medicare Part D Prescription Coverage, Medicare Savings Plans, and more.
These programs and services of LifePath are supported in part by the Albany County Department of Aging, the New York State Department of Aging and the Administration for Community Living.